[REVIEW]: Hada Labo Koi-Gokujyun UV White Gel SPF 50++

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

During my Japan trip last spring, I got overwhelmed with the massive skin care and make-up stores in Tokyo. They are literally everywhere. And because of the amount of products that you see, I got curious with Japanese skincare.

First, I asked my friend who could read Japanese (and a bit of kanji) to help me with the labels. I wanted a gel-type moisturizer that I can wear here in Manila. Then I saw a familiar brand, Hada Labo, and asked my friend to help me read the labels. I ended up picking this moisturizer Hada Labo Koi-Gokujyun UV White Gel SPF 50++, since it says that it is a gel-type moisturizer.



Claims:

  •    All-in-one moisturizer Gel
  •  Sun Protection. It has a patent micro-encapsulation technology to give the highest labeled UV protection.
  • Make-up base. This water gel replenishes dry skin with moisture and protects it from the sun, perfectly primed for makeup application.
  • Features Vitamin C and 2 types of hyaluronic acids that protects skin from moisture loss.
Ingredients:
Water, Ethylexyl Methoxycinnamate, Isonyl Isononanoate, Dimethicone, Ethanol, Butylene Glycol, Peg-12 Dimethicone, Pentylene Glycol, Polysilicone-15, Glycol Dimetharcylate Crosspolymer, Bis-ethylhecyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Hydrolized Hyaluronic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Polysilicone-13, Phenoxyethanol, Triethanolamine Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Titanium Dioxide, Ammonium Acrylates Copolymer, Hydrated Silica, Aluminum Hydroxide, Hydrogen Dimethicone, Methylparaben


Price:
around ¥1,500 (roughly PhP630/US$12)




There’s no English translation for ingredients so we have to use google translate to translate what’s written in the box. But as we all know, some of the words came out really funny and weird, but still we bought the product.




I opened and tested the product when I arrived in Manila. The first thing I notice was the smell. It smells like glue and reminds me of my MAC studio fix fluid foundation. They have a similar smell that I totally dislike. The color is actually white which makes
Hada Labo Koi-Gokujyun UV White Gel really looks like glue. But I guess that’s why it’s called White Gel.




The consistency of Hada Labo Koi-Gokujyun UV White Gel is a little watery/runny and melts in your skin. It is also on the oily side and takes a while for the skin to absorb the product. If you're on the oily side, you have to use this sparingly.






I used this product for two months, and it worked for about a month on me. At first, it was doing quite well in moisturizing my skin but I have to blot at least twice a day. But after a few weeks of use, I noticed that my skin starts to become ridiculously oily and I’m noticing more whiteheads than before. My make-up slides off my face because of oil. I tried to exfoliate my skin at least twice a week to get rid of the whiteheads and the dead skin, but no luck, pimples started to pop up.

I think the change of weather played a huge role during the time I used this. Heat, humidity, and oily products don’t get along. So I have to stop. I also noticed that my skin started to get really dark despite the Hada Labo Koi-Gokujyun UV White Gel is SPF 50 and I’m also using another SPF 50 sunblock on top of this.


I also tried using this in my arms as moisturizer and sunblock. And for some weird reasons it made my arms darker and drier. It was really frustrating because I have high hopes on this product. But I guess it wasn’t for me. I think this work really well in places that are colder and less humid, and/or if you're staying inside the office. I also think that this product leans more on drier (no oil) or more mature skin types, but not for oily skin people.

Have you tried Hada Labo Koi Gokujyun UV White Gel SPF 50++?

You Might Also Like

0 comments